Friday, January 1, 2010

The Name Game

Well, I know we have plenty of time to be planning/worrying about baby names, but I want to be totally ready and don’t want any last minute planning. By nature I am a procrastinator, however when it comes to the baby, I want to be prepared!  I think that the reality of having a baby girl has finally set in.  The shock has finally worn off and we can begin our preparations.  When I found out I was pregnant, we argued over boy names because we were certain that we would be having another boy.  I pushed and pushed for a certain name and Thomas finally agreed on it UNTIL we got the big news on Wednesday that our little bundle of joy was NOT a boy but in fact a healthy little girl!!! In reality, I wanted to throw up but instead I cried…TWICE!!  You see, all I know is boy.  I love my sweet Edward and have loved learning over the last 21 months what little boys love.  Bugs, balls, dirt, trucks, cars, boats, airplanes, helicopters, etc…   I dreamed of Edward and his little brother and all the fun that they would have and the trouble they would get into.  I am thrilled to now have a daughter of my own and I look forward to the special relationship I will have with her just like I have with my mother, who is my best friend. 

Now onto the naming process.  For the last couple of days we have tossed around several different names.  We finally came to two that we both really liked, but struggled with the final decision.  I’ve made Thomas talk about it every opportunity we have had.  I want to be able to refer to her with a name and not just “her” or “baby girl.”  So, we have finally decided on Emily Katherine and we will call her Emily Kate.  Emily is after my paternal grandmother who suddenly passed away when I was pregnant with Edward.  We were very close and I want a special way to remember her.  Katherine is after my maternal grandmother (and who I am named after).  She and her family live in Florida and we don’t get to see her often.  I felt that choosing this special name would be a good way to honor/remember two important women in my life. So, we look forward to introducing you to Emily Kate at the end of May!

I hope you all had a Happy New Years day.  Ours was very uneventful and I enjoyed it.  It’s  been nice after such a busy week to just relax a little!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love her name!!

Anna said...

beautiful name. one of our twin's names include kathryn (but we spell it differently) and we plan to use a double name w/ kate too! can't wait to meet emily kate!